The precast concrete is a product created by casting concrete in a reusable mold & then cured in a controlled environment & then it is transported to the construction site for use.
It is produced by using molds in a controlled environment and the created products are incredibly uniform in structure and appearance and also strong. By using it, concrete walls, concrete floors, and concrete frames, etc can be constructed.
This concrete construction has many advantages like cast in concrete structures, masonry structures, steel, and wood. It provides a more efficient and faster construction process. This type of construction has its own characteristics such as layout, construction depth, span length, and stability system, etc.
Precast concrete construction is very costly and labor-intensive, the best advantage of this is that the structure should be according to its specific design.
There are many types of precast concrete such as precast floor slabs, precast beams, precast walls, precast columns, and precast staircases.
Manufacturing Of Precast Concrete:
By using mold it is created off-site. The simplified process of manufacturing of precast concrete is
- The concrete is poured into steel or wooden mold with rebar or wire.
- In a controlled environment, it is cured at a plant.
- After finishing it is transported to the construction site.
Types Of Precast Concrete:
There are several types of concrete as given below:
1: Precast Concrete Beams:
There are two main classes of beams:
- Internal beams; where the floor loading is approximately symmetrical.
- External beams; where the floor loading is predominately symmetrical.
2: Precast Concrete Floor Slabs:
The precast slab is the most used component in several construction sites because it suits every type of architecture adapts to the requirement.
The main two verities of this concrete floor slabs are:
- Hollow cored block
- Double tee block
3: Precast Concrete Walls:
This is an ideal solution for providing stability to the frame structure that can carry vertical loads of buildings.
These concrete walls serve two functions:
- Boxes close staircases and carry shafts.
4: Precast Concrete Staircases:
The need for an expensive framework, the precast staircases give way for eliminating the needs. To improving the look of building with a unique style, the precast staircases are usable. In this type, a single formed unit contains all the flights and landings and parts of the flights and landing are created in one piece.
5: Precast Concrete Column:
This concrete column is used to support a beam, sizes and shapes vary with a building project. The main functions of formed columns are:
- Edge columns which are symmetrical in one direction
- Internal columns which are symmetrical altogether directions
- Corner columns which are not symmetrical in the least.
Properties Of Precast Concrete Construction:
There are the following properties of this concrete:
- Not affected by labor shortage or by weather
- Enables faster programmed times
- Improve buildability
- Reduces potential for addresses on-site skill shortage
- Produce a high standard of workmanship in factory condition
- High-quality finish that can be left exposed
There are the following advantages of this concrete:
- Easy installation
- Noise reduction
- Quality control and eco friendly
- Low maintenance
- Thermal efficient
- Minimizes wastage
- Safe construction platform
There are several disadvantages such as;
- High initial investment
- Transportation issue
- Handling difficulties
- Sensitive connection work
- Difference between concrete and cement
- What is concrete?
Share this information with Your Friends & Spread the love